PROVINCE OF TARLAC
Goal for Inclusive Growth where no Tarlaqueño is to be left behind characterized by people’s participation in good governance, responsible leadership, sustainable development and equal opportunity for all.
A progressive, peaceful, and environment-conscious province with sustainable and globally competitive agriculture; a major logistics, investment, and tourism destination; with well-planned communities that are home to healthy, productive, and principled citizenry.
Tarlac City is the most urbanized, in terms of services, and has the largest built-up area. But unlike cities of similar development in the country, it remains to be predominantly agriculture in character as evidenced by the large tracts of agricultural land and open space surrounding the Poblacion.
Tarlac is basically an Agricultural based economy, located in the heart of Central Luzon. The 112,997.57 hectares of land are concentrated on agricultural production.
RICE AND CORN
The top 2 commodities planted in the province with 2 to 3 cropping a year. With this vast of land concentrated on agricultural
With this vast of land concentrated on agricultural, Tarlac is being known for the lowland vegetables such as Tomato, Eggplant, String Beans, Ampalaya, Okra, Pechay, Mustard, this are planted during the onset of dry season (2nd cropping alternate for the major crops). Root Crops planted are Sweet Potato, Gabi, Ube, Turnips, Onion, Garlic (upland areas) One of crop being exported to Japan is the "Japanese Okra" situated in the Municipality of Lapaz.
Inland Fish production is also being practiced, were Tilapia and Milkfish are produced. Orchards occupies 10,498.65 hectares planted with the local fruit trees, star apple, tamarind, avocado and the most common sweet mangoes which are exported to ASEAN countries. The province is also known in the production of Sugarcane, with production area of 11,035.90 hectares, with the presence of the LUISITA Sugar Mills located in Tarlac City.
HISTORY OF TARLAC
THE BEGINNING OF TARLAC
Tarlac was the last province of Central Luzon to be created by the Spanish colonial government. Tarlac was inaugurated as an alcadia (regular province) on May 28, 1873 with Don Juan Guillen as its first politico-military governor.
Prior to its provincialship in the last quarter of the 19th century, the territory which now belongs to Tarlac formally belonged to the provinces of Pampanga (Upper or Northern Pampanga) and Pangasinan (Southern Pangasinan). The first step towards its erection into a province was made in 1858, with the creation of a portion of western Pampanga into a military commandancy known as Comandancia-Militar de Tarlac and which included towns: Bangbang (Bamban), Capas, Concepcion, O’Donnell, Tarlac, Victoria, Floridablanca, Mabalacat, Magalang and Porac (the last 4 towns reverted later to their mother province, Pampanga, when Tarlac became a regular province in 1872).See More
This comandancia was the nucleus of what later became the province of Tarlac and of which four towns from southern Pangasinan (Camiling, Gerona, Moncada, and Paniqui) were also integrated. During its initial decade as a regular province, on May 28, 1873 additional pueblos (townships) were created, including Pura, Mayantoc, San Miguel, Murcia, La Paz, Moriones, and San Clemente.
Tarlac was among the first to rise up in arms against the Spaniards, being one of the “eight rays of the sun in the Philippine Flag”, the “Terranos de Guerra”. Officially the revolution in Tarlac started on January 24, 1897, the so-called “Cry of Tagumpay” that was initiated by General Francisco Soliman Macabulos.
After five months of struggle, the Spanish forces led by Lt. Col. Flandes surrendered to Gen. Macabulos on July 10, 1898, thus ended the century of Spanish Era of domination in Tarlac Province.See More
Under the first Philippine Republic, President Emilio Aguinaldo designated General Francisco S. Makabulos the first Filipino politico-military governor of Tarlac province. Casa Real was spared from destruction during the Fil-Spanish battle for the liberation of Tarlac. It then became the seat of Makabulo’s Revolutionary Government 1897-1898.
During the subsequent Philippine-American War, the town of Tarlac became the seat of the Aguinaldo government from June 21 to November 10, 1899.
This was a few months after Malolos, Bulacan was abandoned by General Emilio Aguinaldo as the seat of the Philippine Republic. Synchronically, the Tarlac Cathedral was also the site of the Philippine Revolutionary Congress, after its transfer from the Barasoain Church in Malolos.See More
The seed of the Philippine Independent Church was first sown at Paniqui, Tarlac when Msgr. Gregorio Aglipay convened the Paniqui Assembly at the town’s convent on October 23, 1899. It was also at Brgy. Abagon, Gerona, Tarlac where the first paper currency and coins were minted by the revolutionary government at the first issued. Nearing the fall of Malolos, the Universidad Literaria-Scientifica de Filipinas was transferred to Tarlac on March 31, 1899. Six months later, on September 29, 1899 it held its first and only graduation ceremony.
When the Tarlac capital was taken by the Americans on Nov. 10, 1899, this signaled the collapse of the Aguinaldo government. The American Period in Tarlac officially started in 1901, with the establishment of a civil government.
The first decade of the new century brought about the reversion of some towns to barrio status. In 1920, the town of Ramos was created, making the number of towns 17. It was only in 1988 when the number was increased with the creation of the Municipality of San Jose in Western Tarlac.See More
With the surrender of General Makabulos at Sitio Tangadan, Labney, Mayantoc, the Philippine-American war in Tarlac came to a close. The foundations of civil government were quickly laid by the United States Philippine Commission. On February 8, 1901, the civil government in Tarlac was inaugurated with Don Alfonso Ramos as Governor. Major changes were evident in the early stages of American colonial period in the Philippines. With the normalization of the political situation, the administrators trained their sights on the field of education, public health and sanitation.
During the visit of the Philippine Commission in 1902, it was decided that the small towns were reverted to barrio status.
O’Donnell was reverted to its mother town Capas; Moriones and La Paz to Tarlac; Murcia to Concepcion; San Clemente, Mayantoc, and Sta. Ignacia to Camiling; Anao to Paniqui. These would again be elevated into townships except Moriones, Murcia, and O’Donnell in 1907 under Governor Manuel De Leon.See More
Erected on a hilly portion of the then Barangay San Roque, now San Vicente (present site), the Tarlac Capitol construction was finished in 1909 with some additional offices within the vicinity.
With this new building, a total of 50 hectares was allocated by the Philippine Commission for the purpose of having a center to be used for the provincial and national government offices.See More
Various provincial governors have occupied the Tarlac Capitol building from 1909 to the 1940’s. Minor improvements were made until the breakout of World War II (1941 – 1944). Don Eduardo Cojuangco, Sr. was the incumbent governor then. He was forced to vacate the governorship when the Japanese occupied the province. He refused to serve under the Japanese puppet government. During the Japanese occupation, the Capitol served as the site of the Provincial Headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Army until it was given back to the appointed governors of the Japanese puppet government (Gov. Sergio Aquino and Gov. Feliciano Gardiner).
Since then, various additional offices and features were constructed by various governors such as the capitol annex constructed during the incumbency of Governor Arsenio Lugay (1958 – 1961).
The overall painting of the capitol by Governor Eduardo Cojuangco, Jr. (1968 – 1969) The additional Treasure’s Office Annex (left wing) under Governor Jose Macapinlac (1969 – 1970) was also built. The construction of the first Sanguniang Panlalawigan Session Hall and the improvement of the Governor’s Office by Governor Eliodoro Castro (1972 – 1976).See More
In 1989, during the incumbency of Governor Mar Ocampo III, The Tarlac Capitol building underwent a major construction program.
Thanks to the support of the then Philippine President Corazon C. Aquino. Majestically erected, overlooking the grandeur of Maria Cristina Park, the Tarlac Capitol was inaugurated on February 2, 1989.See More
Since then, the Tarlac Capitol has preserved its beauty and grandeur up to the present leadership of Governor Victor Areno Yap 2007 – 2016.