TARLAC COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE
The Tarlac College of Agriculture was established in 1944 as Camiling Boys/Girls High School. It started with 368 students, 13 faculty members and a school principal, but stopped operation in December 1944 and resumed after the Liberation as Tarlac High School, Camiling Branch. The reopening of the school was a response to the clamor of parents whose children stopped schooling during the war years and the difficulty of traveling from Camiling to Tarlac.
On July 6, 1945 Municipal Resolution No. 34 created the Camiling Vocational Agriculture School (CVAS), replacing Tarlac High School, Camiling Branch. That it focused on vocational agriculture was considered a means to hasten the economic recovery of the town from the ravages of the war. CVAS had 534 students and 13 faculty members. From 1945 to 1948 the school offered two curricula – the general academic to enable the former students to graduate and the agriculture curriculum for the first year and second year. On September 26, 1946 the school was renamed Camiling Rural High School (CRHS). In 1948 the general curriculum was phased out.
Early in 1952, the Director of Public Schools served notices that the school should be relocated to a permanent site and increase the declining enrollment. Otherwise it might be closed or transferred to another town. The most conducive for an agriculture school’s expansion was found in Malacampa, a barangay seven kilometers away from the town proper. In June 1953, the school with 155 students and eight faculty members moved to the new site. Classrooms and offices were made of bamboos and nipain the “middle of a wilderness.” Funds from FOA-PHILCUSA later came and permanent buildings replaced the bamboo structures.
Expansion and development was accelerated when CRHS was converted to Tarlac National Agricultural School (TNAS) in 1957, under a Superintendent. It became a policy to make all projects profitable – piggery, poultry, goat and vegetables. Linkaging for research started from pork barrel funds. In 1961, the two-year technical agriculture post-secondary course was opened and in 1963, the Health Center was built out of funds from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes. By that time, TNAS already had a school hymn and a student publication, “The Carabao”.
In 1965, TNAS and Tarlac School of Arts and Trades (TSAT) were merged to become the Tarlac College of Technology. TNAS became TCT-College of Agriculture (TCT-CA) while TSAT became the Tarlac College of Technology – College of Arts and Trades (TCT-CAT) by virtue of RA 4337. As TCT-CA, it offered three degree programs: Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education major in Elementary Agriculture or Home Economics (BSEEd); Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA) major in Crop Science/ Animal Science; and Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Engineering (BSAEng’g). Government programs related to agriculture, especially after the declaration of Martial Law in 1971 gave a boost to the enrollment in these courses. Graduates found immediate employment here and abroad. From all indications the school could well become autonomous.
Thus, on December 18, 1974 by virtue of PD 609 issued by President Ferdinand E. Marcos, Tarlac College of Agriculture became one of the state colleges in the country. The first College President was Mr. Jose L. Milla. During President Milla’s stewardship, the campus area was increased to 60 hectares; a forestry laboratory in TitiCalao, Mayantoc was acquired through PD 1506; Fishery was added to the existing production projects and joint researches with IRRI were undertaken. Enrollment further increased and the number of faculty and non-teaching.
The second College President was Dr. Robustiano J. Estrada. Upon his assumption, the ten-year development program and the TCA Code were prepared. There was a major reorganization in the administrative set up of the College. Two Vice-Presidents were designated: the Vice-President for Administrative and Business Affairs took care of the non-academic staff and functions; and the Vice- President for Academic Affairs was in charge of the academic programs now based in different Institutes under a Dean. There was an exodus of faculty to take graduate studies because of the promotion scheme of state universities and colleges that gave highest point to educational attainment.
Infrastructure development was also accelerated by Dr. Estrada. Academic buildings rose to accommodate enrollment that reached thousands and which increased every year. Twenty-one faculty cottages, the Girl’s Dorm and Boy’s Dorm, a guest house, six-door staff apartment, a research and development building, a multi-purpose building, the Administration cum library and the chapel were all constructed. The old structures were repaired and PAG-ASA established an Agro-Metrological Station. These gave a new look to the campus. By then the campus has expanded to 70 hectares, including a 4-hectare athletic oval. Research and Extension also expanded and the TCA became a byword among households in the service area. The production projects also increased, notably rice, vegetables, piggery, poultry, goat, cattle, nursery, fruit trees, seedlings and canteen service.
Dr. Feliciano S. Rosete became the 3rd President of TCA when Dr. Estrada’s term expired in 1989. During the first five years of Dr. Rosete’s term, other infrastructures came about. The landmark was the Farmers’ Training Center built from the CDF of the then Senator Alberto G. Romulo. It was also during Pres. Rosete’s term that scholarships from private individuals and NGO’s started pouring in, and more curricular programs were offered. Extension and Research accomplishments also multiplied.
In 2001, Dr. Philip B. Ibarra became the 4th President of TCA. His administration is noted for sustaining the gains and glories of the past while working out for more. TCA then was notable for revolutionizing its curricular offerings, computerization of enrolment and administrative system, aggressive accessing of financial and material resources, development of new leaders, and strengthening existing partnerships with local and international organizations. All these initiatives have pushed TCA to be the Best Institution through Transparent and Caring Administration.
On January 14, 2010, Dr. Max P. Guillermo, assumed the presidency of this College. He pursues a new strategic planning initiative: TCA @ 2015 that outlines the formulated institutional plans, based on strategic programmatic strengths to be supported by a comprehensive development plan to make TCA an energized incubator of new ideas and center of innovation.
An efficient and effective center of excellence in higher education and responsive partner for sustainable agro-industrial development in the North Luzon Agribusiness Quadrangle.
The College has a mission of providing tertiary education geared towards the:
- pursuit of a better quality of life through suitable agricultural and food security.
- acquisition of knowledge, skill, ideas, and values to make students productive, effective, and competent in agro-industrial development.;
- acceleration of the development of professionals to provide leadership in various agriculture based disciplines;
- search for knowledge to harness the biodiversity resources of the region; and discovery of the latent potentials of the human as well as physical resources of the region.
Goals and Objectives
To ensure the training of productive and competitive graduates in agriculture and related disciplines, TCA has the following goals and objectives:
- Quality and Excellence Provision of tertiary education that could enhance competitive advantage and meet desirable standards of quality and excellence
- Relevance and Responsiveness Generation and diffusion of knowledge and skills relevant and responsive to sustainable agriculture and food security in the countryside.
- Access and Equity Provision of access to qualified and deserving students for opportunities for vocational and higher education in agriculture and related fields
- Efficiency and Effectiveness Maximization of returns and benefits derived from optimization of institutional resources
Institute of Agriculture and Forestry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Agronomy
- Doctor of Philosophy in Animal Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Rural Development
- Master of Science in Agriculture
- Major in Agricultural Extension, Agronomy, Farming Systems, Animal Science, Horticulture
- Master of Science in Forestry
- Major in Community Development and Reforestation Management
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
- Major in Agronomy, Crop Protection, Horticulture, Animal Science, Soil Science, Agriculture Extension, Agricultural Economy, Agroforestry
- Bachelor of Animal Science
- Bachelor of Science in Food Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry
- Certificate of Animal Science
- Certificate of Agricultural Science
Institute of Business and Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Major in Human Resource Development Management
Institute of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Development Education
- Master of Arts in Education
- Major in Educational Management, General Science, Mathematics
- Bachelor or Elementary Education
- Major in General Education, Pre-school Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Major in Physical Science, Mathematics, Technology and Livelihood Education (TLE)
- Bachelor of Science in Home Technology Management
- Laboratory School Programs
- Secondary Science and Technology Curriculum
- Secondary Agri-Home Curriculum
Institute of Engineering
- Master of Science in Agricultural Engineering
- Major in Farm Mechanization, Soil and Water Management, Irrigation and Drainage
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Engineering
- Major in Crop Processing, Soil and Water Management, Irrigation and Drainage
- Bachelor of Science in Geodetic Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Certificate in Computer Hardware Technology
- Certificate in Office Management
Institute of Veterinary Medicine
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
For more information, please visit their official site: http://www.tca.edu.ph